Active Contributor
pjrey

Re: Hamachi gateway computer

amen! i thought it was just me. but no, there is seriously something amiss here, i wish they would just fess up and admit it, instead of leading us on, i keep thinking its me... but i am doing everything they have told me to do.. and then the conversation just drops...
happens on the forums, email, etc...
bad bizz (i am just using the free hamachi right now, and with this kind of support would never upgrade to any paid product by these guys if this is any indication on how they do business)

pj
New Contributor
vvlad

Today I tried to add one PC as gateway computer and didn't succeed from the first time.
What I tried:
1) delete this PC from all networks using web UI and windows GUI
2) deleted PC from My clients at all
3) installed Hamachi one more time using Deployment link (but not connected to any network)
4) created new Gateway network and then it let me select the PC as gateway computer
New Contributor
MrKen

I ran into this problem as well (I couldn't force a client machine to become the Gateway machine and there was no radio button provided to select either "Gateway" or "Guest").

Here's what I stumbled into that worked for me:

1) I uninstalled the Hamachi client software from the machine that I wanted to become my Gateway.

2) Via my account on the Web, I went to the Deployment tab in order to go through the process of "Adding a Client".
I checked the Networks check-box with my Network name and basically ended up having LogMeIn send out an email with a link for the client SW installation.

3) I then performed the client SW installation on using the link provided.

4) After the SW install, I connected to my Network via the GW machine, and then went into my account via the Web UI and configured this machine to become a GW instead of a Guest, and now it actually works as a GW.

Hope this helps!
Active Contributor
pjrey

anyone else had any luck with it yet?? strange how customer support has just dropped off.. ( i write them, they write back, then me, then nothing..._ poooor)
pj
New Contributor
nrust551

In the Web access, try this:
My Networks > next to the name of your network is an "edit" link > add/remove members > then you can select which client you want to serve and change to gateway > save.

It was very difficult to find, but it worked for me.
Active Contributor
pjrey

thanks for posting back... but the users were already selected (check box checked...)... still not working for me...
(the gateway network i have setup is always greyed out)
the other MESH network is working fine...
pj
New Contributor
JP001

It is there, its just not obvious.

Click on Networks

look at the right hand side of the network heading and click edit (edit the network not the members)

The network members are listed like   Active Members  |  Add/Remove Members

You click on the add remove bit to the right and you see the members listed but with a radio buton for client or gateway.

Active Contributor
mccoppin

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this process is screwy and opaque!

This process is NOT intuitive nor efficient... I've wasted **hours** going in circles on this, and generally I'm pretty good at navigating non-intuitive UI's.

LMI engineers - this shouldn't be hard to fix. Please make it easier.

Active Contributor
mccoppin

By the way, here is what I think is the "RIGHT" solution:

In the EDIT CLIENT window is where you should be able to specify if the client is a 'client' or a 'gateway' member.

Alternatively (or in addition) in the EDIT NETWORK window you should be able to click to specify one client as the 'gateway' member.

Active Contributor
mccoppin

I have installed the Hamachi client on the PC I wish to use as the Gateway, but it gets the "[guest]" designation for reasons I don't understand. When I install Hamachi on a different PC it seems like a "normal" user which can be designated as a gateway (but isn't the PC I want to be the Gateway).

It needs to be clearer how a client gets turned into a "guest" or how to convert a guest into a normal client so it can be the Gateway. This is a maddening roadblock for efficient setup of a gateway PC.