Contributor
Anon120111

LMI Uninstall leaves garbage

Have tried LMI Free, found it useless beacuse of persistent boot autostart. Have uninstalled it in a usual way, i.e. through Install/uninstall programs Control Panel applet. NOW I HAVE AN ERROR IN EVENTS EVERY BOOT - "LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider" fails to load every time. What the heck?! Is there ANY way to get rid of this spyware not reinstalling whole system?
VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

RE: LMI Uninstall leaves garbage

First of all, to clear things up for everyones benefit, and to put your mind at ease, it is NOT spyware.  It is doing no spying on your system. 

There is a manual uninstall procedure that tells you how to remove everything.  Either search the forums here, or the FAQ for the term MANUAL UNINSTALL.  Then, after performing that, reboot the system and the problem should be gone.

I don't know why you have that issue, but maybe LogMeIn was running when the uninstall took place, and if a file is in use, many uninstalls can't remove the file.  That is just a guess on my part.

--

KGHalbe

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an employee of LMI, nor do I have any financial concern in LMI. I am strictly a HAPPY USER of LMI products. I am using PC version and XP SP2. Other systems or versions may act different than described above.)
Contributor
Anon120111

Thanks for Your reply,
i have already got help from another forum member, a link to a perfect utility, Microsoft (former Sysinternals, by Great Mark Russinovich, i presume) Autostarts. Manual registry
cleanup and MS Autostarts did the job for me. FYI, all that SPY(?) garbage was left in my system after a 100% normal uninstall procedure. AND i COULD NOT unload LMIF from tray BEFORE UNINSTALL, even unchecking an option - it just kept LOADING EVERY BOOT, "active" or "disabled", but it kept loading, so no blabla about bad uninstalls, please. I know TONS of much more complicated software that is able to uninstall itself with no glitches, in spite of running tray utilities, services e.t.c.
I just want to state, whenever LogMeIn is a spyware (You are so sure, but have You seen the source codes?) or not, i can not rely on software that DOES NOT let me control it's start, and DOES NOT let me UNINSTALL it in a usual way, leaving unknown modules run each time i start my PC. Again, i will stay AWAY from this kind of software. When You install, say, VNC, You may choose to install SERVER or CLIENT, or both, depending on Your needs (client even runs as a portable version!). LogMeIn, as opposed, INSTALLS TONS of DRIVERS and SERVICES on Your system, not asking You if You need them or NOT, running them without Your approval.
Even if it is not a hidden SPYWARE, it's behavour is maliculous.
VIP Contributor
KGHalbe

Well, I am sorry that you don't like the software, and respect your views and options to remove it from your system.  Others in this forums, have successfully removed it from auto start, without problems. 

And, no, I have not seen the LMI source code, but I base my opinions on information I have read in trade magazines, their own Security Whitepapers (have you seen them ?), my personal experience with LMI, and the over 25 million customers, worldwide, who use LMI.

I have been active in these forums for over two years now, and, although there have been some accusations about the security issues of LMI, and issues about the software ruining systems (both hardware and software wise), not a single person could provide proof to the detriment of LMI.  I think that speaks for itself.

I have heard, like you said, that the uninstall does not completely remove itself from your computer, and I know that to be a fact in (at least) some cases.  However, they freely offer the manual uninstall, so that one can remove everything.

Your first message on these forums asked for help, and since you didn't come back saying it didn't work, I guess everyone assumed that it did work for you.  It is a shame that you didn't give these forums a chance in helping you remove LMI from the system tray, or from the startup, as we would have helped you accomplish that as others on this forum have had the same request and successfully accomplished the removal from startup. 

These forums have helped many people over the last couple years, but you didn't even give us a chance to help you.  But, since you have already decided to not use LMI, and you got your system cleaned up from it, I guess all is okay now. 

--

KGHalbe

(DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an employee of LMI, nor do I have any financial concern in LMI. I am strictly a HAPPY USER of LMI products. I am using PC version and XP SP2. Other systems or versions may act different than described above.)