Regular Contributor
JR007

Accessing Mac Is Slow

Hey everyone! First off, I think LMI is simply the best and have been using it on my PC for years. I just recently purchased a Mac. Here's the details.

- Running OS X 10.5.2, Firefox 2.0.0.16 & LMI Free 4.0.697 (Feb. 12 build) on my Mac. My screen resolution is 1920x1200, if that matters.

When I access my Mac via my work laptop, the Mac desktop is very slow. Whether I am just accessing a bookmark in FF or opening a window. I have been using this same work laptop to access my PC for years and never any issues.

Has anyone experienced this issue or can please help?

Thank you!
Regular Contributor
JR007

RE: Accessing Mac Is Slow

Follow-up...

I think I figured out the issue. Basically LMI Free cannot handle the screen resolution of a 24" iMac, which is 1920x1200. I lowered a lot of the settings and it seemed to help a bit, but still slow. Here's what I did.

-Resolution has to be 1600x1000 (or lower)
-8 bits
-Network: slow
-Color Quality: Very low

Has anyone else experienced this?
Regular Contributor
JR007

Just one last follow-up.

I submitted a ticket to support and they called me back. Basically, the support guy was not helpful and didn't have an answer for me. His only conclusion was that the resolution for a 24" iMac is so high that it will take time for the screen to appear, thus accessing the Mac will be slow.

How sad even when support cannot help. I guess LMI still isn't ready for OS X. I've been using LMI for quite some time now and I hate to see this application act up in this manner.
LogMeIn Contributor
Kris

If you disable the animated dock, change to a single color desktop background and disable all other fancy stuff, it should be good. The Win version does the same automatically. The Mac version is not capable of doing this automatically at the moment.
Regular Contributor
JR007

^^ Thank you for the reply, as I appreciate any help/advice. I'll give it a go and hopefully it will resolve the issue.

I, think, the LMI team is working very hard on a newer release for Mac, so I am hoping they will take all the comments from this forum into consideration into the next build.
New Contributor
felixg

Re: RE: Accessing Mac Is Slow

Having same problem. Accessing 24 inch iMac from MBP and display transfer is horribly slow. AND it drops the connection periodically. I didn't try LMI Windows product, but I did Citrix's GoToMyPC, and it is very good speed wise, even for high resolution installations. I think they are in the process of building similar capability for Mac, but who knows when it'll be available. Plus it's not free....

LMI, perhaps compression or some other smart reduction of the size of transfer would help. CPU is pretty powerful these days, so why not put it to work?

Active Contributor
dirkuijt

well, I just recently started using LMI, and I also recently bought an 24" iMac (God, I love it!) and I have to say, though the speed is definitely slower, it's not anoying to me...

When I connect to my Mini of MBP it's faster, but the iMac can keep up, and I can work with it okay...

I'm running on highest res on all...

Performance upgrades are welcome, but I can live with this...

Active Contributor
dirkuijt

...what I also found out is that downloadin on the controlling Mac is a no-no!

When I connect to my Mac while it's lurching BitTorrents it's a terrible connection.

I installed TransmissionBT because it has Clutch, a webbased control interface, through which I can pause/resume all downloads om my Mac remotely.

So when I want to LMI to my Mac, I first browse to Clutch, pause all my downloads, and them LMI.

Considerably faster connection!

Regular Contributor
JR007

@dirkuijt -  Appreciate your replies.  Ya, when I am accessing my iMac, I have no other apps running.  I, honestly think and hope, that LMI Free for Mac will mature over time, because in its current state, its slower, as you guys have mentioned.

New Contributor
Mickey B

I am using LMI Free on my Mac Mini.  I'm running it at 1024x768 with "thousands" of colors and a solid color background.  What else can I do to speed up the connection?  I'm a Mac newbie so I don't know what more to do.