Contributor
steiner666

constantly switching to relayed-tunnel?

I use hamachi to network 5 computers from 3 different locations together.  I host an FTP server through hamachi on the one machine, and do a lot of remote control with dameware on all the machines.

Even though the peers were always listed as being online, I would sometimes have problems connecting to another pc through hamachi until i rebooted hamachi on the pc i was using, at which point it would work again for a while and then eventually quit and require another restart... annoying, but still usable.

So recently I updated all of the computers to Hamachi2, hoping that this would somehow solve my problems, and ever since I have had issues with the computers on the network switching from a green direct tunnel to a blue relayed tunnel connection.  Needless to say, since I'm a non-commercial user, doing FTP transfers or especially using Dameware is agonizingly slow at about 7kbs.  

What i'm wanting to know is if there is some way I can fix this.  3 of the PCs have windows xp and 2 have windows 7.  Last night before I went to bed I had a green, direct connection to all computers on my network, after having fixed a relayed-tunnel issue on the one pc by doing port forwarding in the remote router.  Then this morning they are all relayed... some light blue and some dark, and even rebooting isnt getting them green again.

Contributor
steiner666

Re: constantly switching to relayed-tunnel?

ok, i've tried adding default gateway of 5.0.0.1 to all the computers (took forever to do, remoting at dial up speeds) and am still having the same issues...  I'd really like to know if there's a way to fix this, or what the best way to revert back to hamachi1 would be (short of system restore)
Trusted Contributor
ukitsolutions

when you did the port forwarding, did you give each machine their own port to use?

Also you need to set the ports in Hamachi2 itself in the advanced settings.

I just made up some port numbers and it seems to have been fine since.

Contributor
steiner666

yeah, i did.  it's perplexing because sometimes theyre all green and then the next minute they're back to relayed...  none of these problems b4 i "upgraded" to hamachi2
Frequent Contributor
easyisle

I am having this same problem with Hamachi2 ... and never had it with the old Hamachi.

I take my computer from home to work and back every day. It is nice to have the same networked computers at both locations. As such, my computer is constantly switching from sleep mode to awake, reconnecting the tunnels each time .... (very similar to rebooting) , and now each time runs a chance that one of my clients will become a "Relayed tunnel" for no reason at all!! Note neither network ever changes IP addresses or any other configuration..

Once a client has become "relayed", a simple power cycle of the hamachi client (the power button on the window) will bring back the relayed clients to direct, most of the time. Sometimes I have to do this for BOTH the local computer and the client im trying to connect to. This almost always solves the problem .... but I would really like to prevent it in the first place.

Do I really have to punch a port-hole in the firewall/router for each hamachi computer? i'd like to avoid that if possible .. although if it keeps happening and theres no other solution, I will try it out of desperation.

I wish we could get the old hamachi back :(
New Contributor
PlayTime

Well, recently all of my PC registered with Hamachi 2.0 turned to "relayed tunnel" status. Providing the fact they physically reside on a different networks. I have been using Hamachi for years and never had these issue before. Its almost seems like LogmeIn company is forcing you to get on a paid subscription which guarantees you a "green" status for each of the PC you have with Hamachi.
Frequent Contributor
easyisle

^Agreed.

I have 3 computers (1,2, and 3) on two networks (A and B).

Computers 1 and 2 are on A
Computer 3 is on B.

Computers 1 and 2 can talk to each other over hamachi fine (Green dots on both).
Computer 3 can talk to computer 1 fine (Green dot)
BUT computer 3 cannot talk to computer 2 (Relayed tunnel, blocked .. red dot).

I can ping all computers from each other.

Hamachi's "RELAYED TUNNEL" status makes no sense from a networking standpoint. It is clearly a subscription tactic .. one that will backfire in their faces.

I am moving to another solution that does not play these games.
Frequent Contributor
merk

Is this a fairly common problem? Because I'm a hamachi 1 user - i've been holding off on upgrading to 2 because i still had a commercial license and I have no plans on paying $200/yr for the new version. My commercial license just expired and hamachi1 has basically become completely useless to me right now since it's always relayed and the connection seems to constantly drop with even a tiny bit of use - tried to ftp a 50k file and it dropped before that could finish.

I was considering upgrading to hamachi2, but if this problem occurs even in 2 then there's no point in upgrading since I'm not going to pay $200 a year.

easyisle - did you find another solution?
Frequent Contributor
easyisle

yes, it works a little differently, and the interface isn't as clean.

But it works, its free, and it works. That's all that matters. LogMeIn can bite me (they havent even responded to this issue)

http://www.wippien.com/

I hjave no plans on going back to Hamachi even though I liked it better in a few ways. If Hamachi won't work (transfer files quickly) then it is useless to me despite being better in other ways
Frequent Contributor
merk

heh - i just found that program like 2 minutes after i made my post. I'm in the process now of trying to set it up. Running into problems getting the vpn connection - but i think it might be firewall issues on my end.