New Contributor
Kazper

Problems with Hamachi in Gateway Mode and Windows 7

Hello all,

I've used Hamachi as a simple VPN for gaming for a while, but recently I've tried to use some of the more advanced features.

A problem I've run into is that I'd like to use a Hamachi network in gateway mode (in order to get access to a linux server on my home LAN from elsewhere). I've got it set up well (although it was a bit complicated), however, when I try to use the client on my laptop (using Windows 7) it does not get any default gateway from the Gateway server. This means that Win7 refuses to identify the network and treat it as a Public network. SOmething you can do nothing to change.

That's not quite true - you can set a default gateway manually and it will be identified, but only until next reboot/nxt reconnection to the server where the default gateway gets overwritten by an empty value again.

This seems to me to be primarily a design flaw in Win7 - refusing to identify networks without a default gateway is insanely stupid. That said, however, it seems to me that Hamachi should be assigning a default gateway just as it does when used in peer-to-peer mode. It even has an entry for manually assigning a default gateway on the server - but it still does not get assigned to the client.

I'm using Hamachi 2.0.2.85 on all machines and the gateway server is running Vista x86 and the client Windows 7 x64

Does anyone know of any way to fix this or have any suggestions? Or is this a bug in Hamachi (that it doesn't assign the default gateway) that I need to bring to the attention of support?

Frequent Contributor
CCGuy

Re: Problems with Hamachi in Gateway Mode and Windows 7

I'm using the same configuration (Vista gateway, Windows 7 client, 2.0.2.85) and it's working correctly.  My network has static IPs and I set the default gateway and the preferred DNS server of the network bridge to the router IP.

It's also working correctly with another network with an XP gateway and the same settings.

New Contributor
Dreger

I have the same issue and i've confirmed the same as the first poster.

Sent in a ticket to support with all the details.

New Contributor
Dreger13

Looks like a known issue as this has been confirmed by support. They stated that this "may" be resolved with their next update.