New Contributor
mxrider

Default Gateway conflict for static IP

I am using Hamachi behind a router, which is making a lot of my connections tunneled (blue). I hear the solution to this is to forward some ports in your router to your specific computer. Ok, I've done this with several different things in the past with no problem.

However, in order to forward ports to my computer I need to give my computer a static IP for my router to know where to send the packets. When I follow the usual steps to set up a static IP in windows I get an error:

"Warning - Multiple default gateways are intended to provide redundancy to a single network (such as an intranet or internet). They will not fumction properly when the gateways are on two separate, disjoint networks (such as one on your intranet and one on the internet). Do you want to save this configuration?"

If I accept, then I completely lose access to the internet (or it becomes unreliable / slow). I believe this has to do with the fact that the Hamachi adaptor creates a default gateway to 5.0.0.1, while my real network needs a default gateway of 192.168.1.1--causing a conflict. See this thread for what appears to be a similar issue: /logmein/board/message?board.id=11&thread.id=1377 (although I am using Vista, not 7).

What should I do? Am I forever stuck in a situation where I must chose between a static IP with no internet access or a dynamic IP with no working Hamachi? Thanks for any help.
New Contributor
mxrider

Re: Default Gateway conflict for static IP

No way around this issue?
Regular Contributor
DKSer

Sure, reserve the IP in the router. Most Home routers allow you to permanently assign a DHCP address. This isn't static addressing because the Computer will still pull its connectivity information from the router, but it will always receive that IP.

Course the better home routers allow you to port forward via hostname.

But anyways, that error is just Windows whining about multiple default gateways, but if your metrics and binding order are set properly, this won't matter.
New Contributor
mxrider

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I know a lot of routers (Netgear is one I believe) let you specify a specific IP to always assign via DHCP to a specific MAC address. Unfortunately, my router (Linksys) does not have this functionality (and I have tried updating my firmware).

As far as metric go, I understand that the gateway with the lowest metric is the one which is used by default? When I set the metric of my hamachi adaptor to be something low (like 10) I can't access the internet, but when I set it to something high (like 9000) I can (my other network adaptor is set on automatic metric). But when the metric of the hamachi adaptor is high, doesn't that mean I won't be connecting through it's gateway and it will cause issues?

Please explain how I should configure things. :)
Regular Contributor
DKSer

You should first get a new router. I only say this because nay router today does indeed have the ability to reserve an IP, heck even the ActionTec router you get with FiOS does. So I suggest you get a new one.

This error is a Windows Networking quirk. Microsoft doesn't expect you to actually use static assignments, and they really don't expect you to statically assign multiple DIFFERENT gateways, even if you have multiple NICs. Easiest way to get around this, is don't assign different ones.

you can buy a cheap $30 router, and it will more than likely have the ability to reserver an IP.