Contributing Visitor
pickeld
Accepted Solution

Wake on LAN

Can someone give me the "cliff notes" on Wake On LAN?  I try to use it in Free but it does not seem to work.  I think I have the client PC configured correctly and I get the "Power Switch" on the LMI My Computers screen.  This might be useful to me if I can get it to work.

Thanks

Dave

LogMeIn Administrator
KevinA

Re: Wake on LAN

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your particpation in the Community, Dave. I have copy and pasted below an article from our Support Knowledge Base (a great resource for common questions).

How do I wake a computer that is in sleep mode or powered off?

By enabling LogMeIn's Wake on LAN feature, you can turn on a PC or Mac that is in sleep mode, or a PC that is powered off.  Follow these steps to ensure that you will be able to use the Wake on LAN feature:

First, make sure that Wake on LAN has been enabled on the host:

• From a Windows host: Open LogMeIn and choose Options > Preferences > Advanced Settings.  Under Network, make sure that Enable Wake On LAN from sleep and power off is selected.
  • For a Mac host, enable the following setting: System preferences > Energy saver > Options tab > Wake for Ethernet network administrator access

Please confirm that the host is in a supported sleep mode (stand-by, sleep, or hibernation mode: ACPI specification S3 or S4).  For a Windows PC that is powered off (but still plugged in), confirm that Wake on LAN is enabled in the computer's BIOS.  

Tip: Consult the user guide of your computer or motherboard to locate the appropriate BIOS switch, (usually Wake on LAN from S5).

Please also confirm that at least one other LogMeIn host on the same LAN is online and available.  For a Mac, confirm that the computer is on a wired network.  Wake on LAN is not supported for Mac hosts on a wireless network.

When these conditions are met, any computer in your account that is ready to be woken up will show the Switch on this computer button.  Click the button to wake the computer.  Please allow time for the computer to wake.

Note: The ability for this option to function is dependent on your computer's hardware.  Please consult your computer's documentation to confirm compatibility with Wake on LAN features. 

Kevin Aries
Online Community Manager, LogMeIn Inc.

Message Edited by KevinA on 09-10-2009 11:50 AM
Message Edited by KevinA on 09-10-2009 11:51 AM
New Contributor
gibbs

I have seen the option to turn on my computer earlier on in the day, but it doesn't show up now. Is LMI doing some work right now to the servers which disable that function?
New Contributor
amuellerde

WOL doesn't work, if dynamic IP is used.

It works only, until the IP was changed.

New Contributor
thejipster

Can someone elaborate on how the WOL feature is implemented by LMI?

I see the option in the advanced settings, which is turned on.

I know WOL is working on PC because I send a magic packet from my Linux box to it and it wakes up.

So from what I have read, WOL packets to work through the router, you must port forward specific UDP and/or TCP ports.  Assuming that my dynamic IP is relatively static (haven't changed in 2 years), I would imagine that LMI can send this magic packet over the Internet through the router and onto ONE specified PC on my LAN.

I would like to find out from anyone that knows how this is implemented.  From OP, it appears that the Magic Packet is sent from another managed machine that is ON and it is also on the same LAN as the other PC that needs to be woken up.

There has to be a way to turn on a specific PC if no other PC on the local LAN is already on.

Thanks

- J

New Contributor
gibbs

amuellerde wrote:

WOL doesn't work, if dynamic IP is used.

It works only, until the IP was changed.

Can you please elborate? Do you mean dynamic IP on LMI or physically on the MB/Router itself? I managed to turn on my secondary computer without a hitch, but it doesn't seem to work on my main computer.

New Contributor
amuellerde

I mean dynamic IP on my Router.

in my network works 2 PC with LMI.
The one PC is always ready and is always available in the LMI webinterface.

The other PC is turned off after work, and only in the LMI webinterface (turn-on-button) available until was changed the ip.
New Contributor
thejipster

www.dslreports.com has a free remote wol utility.  Just make sure udp port 9 is forwarded on your router.  This will get your FIRST computer up, and if it has Logmein installed, then it should be able to wake up the rest of the PCs.

New Contributor
3rdrocker

Do you have the specific link for the free utility on dslreports.com? I've scoured the site but can't find anything. Thanks in advance!
New Contributor
3rdrocker

Never mind..I finally found it! http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup  Great feature...going to see if it works successfully for me. Thanks for the lead!