New Contributor
just_trying_to_

Mac - restore defaul sound output device on disconnect

Hello,

I kept thinking my Lion install went crazy somehow for the past few days. I then realized it was every time I used Logmein that it would set the ouput device to the default embedded speaker (using a Mac Pro) once I would disconnect from the computer.

Is there any way to make LMI remember the default output device selected before it took over so that it changes it back to what it was?

Thanks

New Contributor
mlrvpl

Re: Mac - restore defaul sound output device on disconnect

Same problem here.  Aparently Logmein replaced the sound driver on my mac min with Snow Leopoard and no I get no sound at all.  uninstaling Logmein did not help.  at this poit it appeara Logmein has permanently deleted the native mac sound driver and my system is hosed for sound.  Had not had any problems w logmin before this but this seems like a reallt bad effect, forcing me to learn how to reinstall the device drive, which appears difficult.

New Contributor
rickrcomm

Same problem on MBP Lion after using iPad Ignition.  Looked for solution and found this that worked for me:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=60755

I found out you can fix this by removing the logmein sound driver with this terminal command:

Sudo kextunload /system/library/extensions/logmeinsounddriver64.kext

Though this worked, would rather see a more elegant fix from LMI.

Thanks,

Rick

New Contributor
vscherer

When my Mac was running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, I found that normally the default sound setting ("Internal Speakers") **was** restored after a LogMeIn disconnect, EXCEPT when the LMI exit crashed for any reason. (In the latter case, the LMI sound driver remained in place and there was no sound. I could only fix this by going to System Preferences/Sound and resetting it to Internal Speakers.) Unfortunately, now, after upgrading the Mac to Mountain Lion, I find that the LMI sound driver ALWAYS stays in place after an LMI session, invariably resulting in no sound. Can anyone help in how I can get the default sound setting restored automatically?
Frequent Contributor
oguy111

Go:  System Prefrences>Sound>Output. Make sure wanted sound device is selected.

New Contributor
waslater

[ Edited ]

@vscherer

I 100% agree, and it makes me so very mad! Not only does it change the regular sound output device; it also changes the microphone and the alert output device to the Logmein drivers. All of a sudden my Messages app (iChat) alerts weren't working, nor any of the default system alerts. Really made me crazy for a while.

BOTTOM LINE: After using Logmein from my phone or iPad and logging off the session completely, the sound output stays stuck on the Logmein driver. I have to manually change all three back each time. This only started after Mountain Lion, I think

New Contributor
euro33

Spoiler

Finally removed: com.logmein.driver.LogMeInSoundDriver after manually uninstalling the program.

This worked for me as well.

Sudo kextunload /system/library/extensions/logmeinsounddriver64.kext using Terminal.

Causing my imac running Mountain Lion to start every day...

Thank You

New Contributor
Grayleaf

I have had this issue on four diferent Macs running Lion and Mountain Lion. It's a MAJOR FAILING of LogMeIn quality assurance.

I set up several systems from scratch over the past two weeks, a 2011 iMac, 2012 MacBook Air, and 2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina.  ALL of them suffer from the UNWANTED LogMeIn audio driver registering itself in the OS and setting itself as the INPUT and OUTPUT driver.

I was about to return a brand new ThunderBolt Display because the internal mic wouldn't work with FaceTime. Upon further research, it's LogMeIn. Even if I don't use LogMeIn, when I reboot this newly installed system, the LogMeIn driver is set as the default input for FaceTime.

How frustrating!  I like LogMeIn, but this it's getting to the point where I can't recommend LogMeIn to others. As the Chief of IT Engineering for a Federal gov't agency, I make recommendations all the time, but in this instance, LogMeIn has stumbled inexplicably and let this issue fester--totally unresolved.

New Contributor
BEVGBL

Hi Grayleaf, Also had this problem and changed out of the LogMeIn sound driver in the System Preferences. I can now hear audio out of my internal iMac speakers but not out of external speakers. any ideas?
Ozy
New Contributor
Ozy

I am having this issue on many macs now.   Both my 13 and 15" Retina Macbook Pros and more.  I've spent the last few months in frustration trying to figure this issue out, and had no idea it was related to this stupid friggin driver.

To prevent it from reinstalling after reboot, do the following

sudo kextunload /system/library/extensions/logmeinsounddriver64.kext

sudo rm -rf /system/library/extensions/logmeinsounddriver64.kext

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application Support/LogMeIn/drivers

There is a chance that if LogMeIn updates itself, it may drop the drivers back in place, which means you'll have to remove them again.

Now I have to go clean this off a ton of other friends Macs that I help manage.  I'm sure they are having these same issues and not knowing what to blame it on.

FIX THIS NOW!!! THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!!   YOU SHOULD MAKE THE AUDIO DRIVER AN OPTIONAL INSTALL!!  Forcing it back after every reboot is WRONG!